In a nutshell
2. Create an avatar
3. Configure the viewer
Registration is free and easy. Go to the My Account page.
To create your avatar, go to the My Account page and choose the Avatar tab.
- You must choose a first and last name for your avatar. This is the name that will appear to other users in the virtual world. It doesn’t have to be your real name, but once the avatar is created, this name cannot be changed.
- Choose your initial appearance. You will be able to modify and customize it as you wish in the virtual world.
The viewer is the equivalent of your web browser for 3D worlds. You can use any OpenSimulator compatible viewer to access Speculoos. We recommend Firestorm :
Make sure you download the “Opensim Only” version (not the “SL Only” version).
First add Speculoos World to your viewer:
- Go to the “Viewer” menu -> “Preferences” (or type Ctrl-P)
> Grid Manager” tab
> Section “Add a new grid”.
- Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
When the Speculoos is added, you will be able to log in:
- Make sure that the grid selected in the “Grid” menu is Speculoos.
- Enter your avatar’s first and last name in the “Username” box and your password in the “Password” box.
- Click on “Connection”.
(it’s been a while since I tested them, no guarantee of results) :
- Cool VL Viewer (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Singularity (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Imprudence (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Hippo viewer (Windows, Linux)
So you were wondering why you were seeing hippos everywhere? Voilà.
To use Second Life, follow the lab instructions here. Second Life no longer allows OpenSimulator viewers to connect to its grid. You now have to install separate programs if you use both.